Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Books and a soap box episode

So I've been reading a lot lately, which is not really good. Last night I finished a book called "The Appeal" by John Grisham. Now, I've read a couple of his other books and enjoyed them, but by the end of this one I was mad. First, I was mad about how the book ends. The bad guy wins. If I am going to spend hours reading a book when I should be doing other things, I want to read something better than doing those things! I see enough garbage about the bad guy winning in real life, I don't want to read about it!! Second, I am perturbed and angry at the way Grisham sneakily and indirectly casts doubt on the stand that homosexuality is morally wrong. He infers that strong Christians are bigots and that somewhat who supports the death penalty and opposes abortion is a walking contradiction. What?!?! I also thoroughly dislike the way he breeds mistrust of the government, and dislike even more that that distrust may be well-founded, I will never know. The more I hear what Obama is doing the more I think he is a sleazeball in gentleman's clothing. And no, it's not because of race! I am annoyed that people who voted against him because of issues were labeled racist while the people who voted for him specifically because of his race were the "open-minded" ones. Please. So now, according to the media and others, people who stand up against mandatory abortions that force doctors who don't believe in them to perform them for minors without parents' knowledge are now the intolerant ones. According to them, Christians who support family values are blind sheep, uneducated and unreasonable zealots who are striking out at "reason" and "tolerance" because they are afraid and backward. And they seem to say that churches that urge action in moral issues are stepping outside their bounds and should have their nonprofit status revoked for interfering in political issues. And all this makes me mad. They take the truth and twist it around to their own point of view. They glorify good religious people as long as they stick to giving to the poor and needy, but if you want to preserve family values and resist having the world's ideals foisted on you... well.
So the book made me think, and made me mad. Overall, I would not recommend it. Not conducive to a good night's sleep.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Hmm. Much to think about. Now I'm getting riled up, too! Time to speak up--no room for fence-sitters anymore, methinks...

Eric and Jenny said...

This is so funny because I have been reading that book for months and just could not get motivated to finish it. I normally really love his books but for some reason this one was just not capturing my attention. I just gave it up last week, and now am I ever glad I did. I kept debating back and forth if I should just finish it, because I am weird that way and have the hardest time abadoning a book but now I feel good about letting it go!

Grams and Grumps said...

Good for you! Getting up on your soap box takes courage. Now...can you figure out something to do about it? Maybe it's high time for him to know that not everyone agrees with his sleight-of-hand way of slipping in slime. Go get him! Love, Grams